We could see that there are people who are still unemployed or not able to progress in their career in spite of being highly talented and with good academic record, many certifications, good credentials and skill set. The reason is they are not able to find the right opportunity that will showcase their talent and make them fly high in their career. The very first step towards being considered for an opportunity or a position is resume. Recruiters are using job boards today for recruitment and having a good and highly impressive resume and using it for applying is going to help people to be invited for an interview.
There are several common mistakes that job seekers do with their resume and some of them might be unintentional or done with confidence but has an adverse effect. Below are the most common mistakes that people do with their resume.
- Simple spelling and grammar mistakes along with expressing things in a complex and elaborated way
- Poor alignment and information presentation, putting in irrelevant headings and sub-headings
- Providing incomplete, unnecessary or at times superficial information
- Like stated in employmentboost.com as a most common mistake, not stating a professional summary for a quick overview of recruiters as they dont have time to go through each and every info in the resume.
- Cliched phrases and statements in career goals, vision, job responsibilities column
- Using colorful templates and making the CV look like a profile with junk information
- Hyped information on accomplishments and awards making them look boastful and not so real
- Not being specific to the job or position against which it is used for applying, many people do this, they prepare one common resume and use it for all kinds of jobs. Dont do that, when applying for a job, customize it making it relevant to the position’s responsibilities.